Friday, October 4, 2013

Phat Food Friday: BEST EVER Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff

When the weather gets chilly...I want to put on my snuggly sweaters and drink a cup of Earl Grey with a good book. I also LOVE the smell of a warm crock pot dinner wafting thru the air! The two just seem to go hand in hand. I found this recipe on Facebook last week and since I love Beef Stroganoff, I had to try it. My family loved it so much, they requested it again this week! With all recipes, I like to follow it to the letter. After I try it once, I go ahead and alter it to my taste. Here is the BEST EVER Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff!
 
 
 
Get out your Crock Pot and gather your ingredients....
 
  1. 2 cans condensed Golden cream of mushroom soup (10 and 3/4 oz. each)
  2. 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
  3. 1/2 cup of water
  4. 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Salt
  5. a dash of Paprika
  6. 1 yellow onion, chopped (~ 1 cup)
  7. 2 pounds cubed stew meat
  8. 8 oz. 1/3 less fat "Cream" Cheese, also labeled as Neufchatel Cheese (Regular cream cheese can be substituted)
  9. ~Optional~ 8 oz. fresh mushrooms (two 4oz cans of drained sliced mushrooms are a good substitute)
  10. 12 oz. bag of Egg Noodles
We will start with the first 5 ingredients listed.
The last 3 ingredients we do not need until the 20 minutes before serving.
Go ahead and put the cream cheese and mushrooms back in the fridge, and set aside the noodles till later.
 
 
Here we go!
 
 
I think fresh unfrozen meats yield the best crock pot dishes.
 
 
The mushrooms are optional...but I think they make the dish more hearty & love them!
 
 
In your cold crock pot, stir the first 5 ingredients.
 
 
Chop your cup of yellow onions...don't cry too much.
I know you will miss cooking over a hot stove tonight...NOT!
 
 
Add the onion to your pot.
 
 
Stir well.
 
 
Add the cubed stew meat to your pot.
 
 
Stir well.
 
 
Set your crock pot to low for 8-10 hours. I set mine longer because my hubbie comes home from work pretty late.
 
 
 
*********************************
 
We interrupt this fab tutorial to bring you the following real time blog announcement....
 
I LOVE this girl! THIS is why I like to use my crock pot sooooo much....
wouldn't' you rather watch ducks than cook!? I would!
Especially on this unseasonably unexpected golden afternoon....
 
 
Let's go see  the ducks!
 
 
 The ducks were not sure if they wanted to get too close...or not.
 
 
 
We now return you from this "double dose of cuteness" break to your regularly scheduled blog post : )
 
*********************************
 
20 minutes before serving...
 
 

Take a large sturdy spoon and break up the cubed stew meat. It should be tender and break up easily. Stir the mixture well to coat the meat in the sauce. 
 
 
Rinse your mushrooms...
 
 
... and chop them into uniform slices.
 
 
 
Stir them into the crock pot...
 
 
and cover.
 
 
Cube your block of Neufchatel Cheese.
 
 
Stir that into the crock pot...
 
 
 and cover.
 
 
 Let the cheese melt and the mushrooms cook to tender in your crock pot while you boil

a pot of water and cook, following the directions on the package of egg noodles.
It should take less than 10 minutes to boil the whole bag.
Drain the noodles.
 
 
Mix the BEST EVER Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff well.
 
 
...and serve over the noodles.
 
This is such a great dish. I think it is even better as leftovers!
I mix the extra noodles into what is left in the pot and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Place leftover Beef Stroganoff Mixture on a glass plate in a ring around the outside edge.
Spray with water.
Microwave for 3 minutes, stirring once and you are all set for an easy lunch!
 
 
Mmmmm! I think she loves it!
 
 
I stumbled across the recipe in my Facebook newsfeed a few weeks ago.
It comes from the Facebook page: It's a Lifestyle...Not a Fad
The group Admin, Barb Miller, shared with me what the group is all about...
"This will be a place where you are no longer alone in your battle with weight loss. We're here to motivate, encourage & support each other as well as share stories, frustrations, and triumphs!
My goal is to support and motivate our members! That's what we are here for. I want people to be able to come here and talk about what is bothering them, vent if needed and get advice from others who are going through the same thing."
 
Thanks for sharing with us Barb!
That sounds good to me.
 I am always searching for healthy, tasty recipes for my family.
I know I will visit this page often!
 
The original recipe can be found at:

 
 
Thanks so much for stopping by.
I hope you give this classic comfort food a try!

4 comments:

  1. This is such a great recipe! I’ve made it multiple times. I’ve sometimes added all of the ingredients, except the noodles at the start, if I’m pressed for time, & the results have been the same. I use thin sliced fajita beef or stir fry beef as I find it cooks quicker & involves less work. My whole family loves it! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive made this a million times and keep coming back to it! I LOVE THIS RECIPE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I accidentally used cream of mushroom and not golden cream of mushroom. Will it still turnout ok?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve used both soups & the only thing that’s affected is color. They were both excellent!

    ReplyDelete