Monday, December 9, 2013

DIY: Shirred Sash with Removable Rosettes!

 
With the holiday season in full swing, every little girl needs a dress to show off!
My little dollie will be wearing this lovely lace trimmed tress, the Joy from Create Kids Couture.
 
 
Now, my little sweetie is a skinny thing AND she refuses to wear the sash that is included with the pattern...so I had to improvise! 
 

 
I whipped up this lovely lace belt with shirring. To make wrestling dressing her even easier, I added the fantastic KAM snaps to the ends of this cute belt. Now dressing her is a cinch!
 
The key to the belt sizing is to cut the fabric to your desired length and width.
I usually make mine about 2.5" - 3" wide.
The length you need to cut is waist measurement plus 6" (5" will cinch up with shirring and the extra 1" allows 1/2" seam allowance for the short ends).
For example, my daughter has a 19" waist, so I cut a 25" long strip of fabric.
Easy peasy!
First, I simply roll hem the long edges to start.
Next, you need to fold over the short raw edges and stitch them down.
Then, you shirr! I have an easy tutorial for shirring here:
Finally, when you are finished shirring, attach 2 KAM snaps to each short end of your belt!
 
 
 
To dress up the sash, and give it a boutique look, I added a rosette to the belt.
You can find my free tutorial on how to make one here:
 
 
 
To get the most use out of this darling creation, I also added a KAM snap to the back of the rosette and to the front of the sash. Now, I can use the sash without a rosette, or even add a pretty heart for Valentines Day!
 
Instead of sewing the rosette onto a headband, I stitched it onto a small fabric square. The square is small enough to be hidden behind the rosette and it is 2 layers of fabric for durability. Be sure to add the snap BEFORE you stitch on your rosette!
 
You can purchase these great pliers and snaps here:

 
Of course, I HAD to whip up a coordinating boutique headband to match! 


 
Hopefully, pictures with Santa will get smiles this year!
 
Thanks for stopping by and have a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment